(Contest currently closed. Contest will open in mid-December 2017.)
Eligibility & General Rules:
- The awards competition is open to student journalistic work originated and published in student daily, weekly, monthly or yearly publications; online; or broadcast on student radio or television stations during the year ending December 31, 2017. Broadcasting via cable access channels also qualifies. Material produced for paid placement is not eligible. Entrants need not be Milwaukee Press Club members.
- Work produced by students through such arrangements as internships or course-based partnerships with professional media outlets, including public radio and television, is eligible for the collegiate division ONLY if the work is minimally edited by professionals. The professional outlet must include a brief paragraph with the entry regarding the amount of professional involvement in the student work.
- Entries must be the work of students who were at the time of publication/broadcast enrolled full time (carrying a minimum of 12 credits) at an institution of higher education in the state of Wisconsin.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted in each category. Contest judges may reassign an entry to a category that appears more appropriate or eliminate it from competition at their discretion.
- The same work may not be entered in more than one category. Exceptions: design categories and compilations where multiple samples are requested.
- Out-of-state journalists and educators will serve as judges for the contest. Judges have the discretion to decide how many awards will be given in each category.
- Each plaque is limited to six names. If you list more than six names on your entry form, the first six names will be engraved on the plaque.
- You are granting permission to the Milwaukee Press Club to use winning entries on its website, in its annual publication Once A Year, and for display at the MPC Gridiron Awards Dinner. Copyright remains with the originating news organization.
- College entry fee: $11 per entry
- If you have questions, please contact Joette Richards at email@example.com.
DEADLINE: All entries must be uploaded by 11:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 2, 2018.
Format Instructions: The MPC Awards for Excellence in Wisconsin Journalism Contest has been moved to a system that is entirely Internet based. You can simply upload your Word document, PDF, jpeg or URL. For video submit your URL. URL must be active during the judging period. You must be logged in before you can upload your entries. If you do not have a login you must create one.
We encourage you to submit your entries where the content fits.
Print: Word document, PDF, screen grab or URL may be used. Stories, features and columns must be submitted in their entirety.
Visual Journalism: PDF, jpegs or screen grabs must be submitted. Story accompanying the work may be attached, but judging will be based on photographic excellence.
Online: For all online categories, entrants should include a website URL address, a direct link or a screen grab from 2017.
Video: Entrants should designate the URL address. Anchor lead-ins to packages are permissible. It is advisable to delete commercials. Entries should not exceed 15 minutes unless otherwise noted.
Audio: Entrants should designate URL address where the content can be found. Anchor lead-ins to packages are permissible. It is advisable to delete commercials. Entries should not exceed 15 minutes unless otherwise noted.
Collegiate Competition Categories
To enter the contest, click on a competition category below to get started.
To download a printable version of the collegiate contest click here.